2017-10-11 Minutes

Alpine CC Board Minutes
6:00 pm Wednesday, October 11th, 2017 at ACC

Present: Joyce Long, Dorothy Brinckerhoff, Roger Irvin, Dena Elliott, John Scott
Absent: Rachelle Payne, Charlene Opheim

1. Discuss & approve minutes of the previous meeting


2. Review board email votes since last meeting


3. Prioritize Agenda

4. Financial Report

The Board accepted the financial reports for September.

Dorothy bought a reader-board sign for the Center, to replace the heavy, worn board we have been using. In July the board discussed purchasing a new sidewalk sign for the Resale Shop, and approved an expense for purchasing one. Before Dorothy acted on that approval, Eva made a new sidewalk sign for the Resale Shop.

5. Preschool Report

Char has had a class that conflicted with this board meeting in September, October, and will again in November, but won’t in December. Dorothy also has begun a job where she works evenings, and will have conflicts periodically. After discussing the possibility, we agreed that at this time there is no compelling reason to alter the schedule for our board meetings.

Char has talked to Fire Chief Rick Smith, who can do the first aid and CPR training for $70/per person, in either two half-day sessions or a single full day. Board is firm in its resolve to do this, and to require cooping parents to attend. Char will work out the schedule to have these classes, and if appropriate, schedule child care and lunch.

Char has collected the forms for the background checks/registry enrollments for co-oping parents, and will meet with Rachelle in the coming week to submit the batch.

Claudia has been working on the handbook revision. Char will meet with her soon to review her draft and forward their draft to the board for review.

Char has received applications for tuition assistance from 5 families. Joyce moved that the board approved 2/3rds TAP scholarships for 5 families who have applied. Dena seconded, Approved.

Char also reports that this year we have a fantastic group of students and families. This week has been fire safety week, with a visit to the fire station, and next week will be the field trip to the pumpkin patch.

6. FFF Grant for Staff Development and QRIS Plan

Dorothy has submitted to the Ford Family Foundation an application for a $15,000 grant for remodeling. That amount would represent more than a third of the projected cost of our planned project, with other parts to come from previously-raised on-hand capital improvement contributions from the community, volunteer & in-kind contributions to the work, and possibly from the already-received FFF grant.

7. Preparations for Holiday Festival

The only gap in the volunteer rota for the Festival that Dorothy was needing to fill was for coverage of the raffle ticket table. Roger and John committed to staff the raffle table from 2:00 through the end of the day.

8. Painting the main hall

Karen Shepherd is willing to scrape and paint the main hall on Oct 28th, but needs to have someone to work with her to do the ladder work. Roger can help, if we can’t find anyone else to help. John will provide a ladder.

In August, Brenda Goracke repainted the bathrooms. The board is grateful to her for that service and contribution.

In September one of the other preschool parents pruned back the rhododendrons along the front of the Center and weeded the planting bed there. The board is grateful to that parent for their service and contribution.

9. Recycling Center abuse

Joyce reported no progress on the configuration of the video recorder to network.

10. 2012/2014 Trust Mgmt Grant Implementation

Dorothy reported that she will be composing the final report to Trust Mgmt this month.

11. Holiday season projects

We have not heard anything yet from our partners at Umpqua Bank on the holiday gift tree. There has been staff turnover at our branch of Umpqua in the last year. Dena will reach out to them to coordinate.

The board discussed whether we want to revive the christmas tree lot this year. We are uninterested in doing this without a partner, and have not been approached by any potential partners.

12. So. Benton Community Advisory Group (SBAG) for M. Hull bequest

Roger reported that there is no news from SBAG.

13. New Business

Dorothy moved that we change from metered natural gas billing to gallons to fill billing with CoEnergy Propane. Dena seconded. Approved.

Joyce reported that Rann Millar is organizing the road cleanup for this Saturday, 10/14. An announcement and appeal for volunteers for this went out today on the mailing list.

Joyce has added Jeanne Anne Lindsay as an admin on the ACC Facebook page, the ACC site, and the MadMimi listserve. This is to help her promote the holiday festival more readily.

John reported that Alpine Water Company contacted him about higher than normal water usage during August and September. He turned off the timer sprinkler on the raised garden bed and talked to Char about any other signs she may have noticed of unusual water usage.

14. Proposed agenda for November

Last minute logistics for Holiday Festival

15. Schedule

Road cleanup 10/14, ACC Board 11/8, Holiday Festival 11/11

Comments are closed.