2017-07-12 Minutes

Alpine CC Board Minutes
6:00 pm Wednesday, July 12th, 2017 at ACC

Present: Dorothy Brinckerhoff, Roger Irvin, Dena Elliott, Rachelle Payne, John Scott, Charlene Opheim
Absent: Joyce Long

1. Discuss & approve minutes of the previous meeting


2. Review board email votes since last meeting

Dorothy moved we authorize the purchase of a mixer board/amplifier & speakers for $650 ($500 long pending for this purpose from a grant, $150 from general funds). Seconded by Roger, Carried with Aye votes from Joyce, John, & Rachel.Joyce purchased the system, but with different speakers, for a total of $600.

3. Prioritize Agenda

4. Financial Report

Financial reports for April, May, and June. Approved

Action Item (Roger): Call Co-Energy to review propane usage statistics

5. Preschool Report

Even though there are uncertainties about the anticipated changes in the state quality standards, it is reasonable to expect that training co-oping parents in first aid will still be included. The board encouraged Char to move ahead with scheduling first aid/CPR training for the parent group at the beginning of the school year.

The board encouraged Char to edit the parent handbook without restrain as she revises it this summer.

Unpaid tuitions for the ’16-17 year total $1119. The largest part is from a student whose parents dropped out related to immunization requirements, leaving a seat vacant for most of the year.

Char’s projections for next year anticipate less need for Tuition Assistance Plan. At this point she has 3 spots open for bigs, 3 for littles, though Char has prospects for those spots who haven’t registered. Dorothy will send a msg through the email list to recruit additional registrations.

6. FFF Grant for Staff Development and QRIS Plan

Dorothy received a second bid for the remodeling project of the classroom area. The estimate is for $25K, and is more detailed, itemized, and thoughtful than the first bid. Dorothy will make this new estimate the basis for the next round of grant applications to Ford Family Foundation and OR Community Foundations. Even assuming speedy submission and turnaround, the earliest funding could be in place would be for the work to be engaged over the Christmas break.

7. Recycling Center abuse

There was another instance of trash dumping this week; Dorothy will work with Joyce to pull review the video.

8. 2012/2014 Trust Mgmt Grant Implementation

Final report to Trust Mgmt: no action this month.

9. Resale Shop Volunteer recognition event

Rachelle and Dorothy reviewed the event for the board. It went well. The volunteers appreciated recognition of their contributions.

10. Bicycling event staffing (7/29)

John described how he’d had contact with Mike Ripley in early June about providing staff for the Willamette Gran Fondo, but that there’d been no follow-up communications, so he was uncertain about whether Mike was depending on us. He committed to getting back in touch with Mike.

11. Budgeting for 2017-18

John and Dorothy review first draft of a budget for the new fiscal year produced by the Budget Committee. It prominently calls for the use of a significant portion of our general fund to support the preschool for the year, as well as using significant designated funds for the classroom remodeling project.

After discussion, Dena moved we approve the draft budget, Roger seconded, the board approved.

12. Recruiting a staff coordinator for Resale Shop

Dorothy has taken over staff coordination for the Resale Shop from Rachelle. They will continue trying to recruit someone else to take it on.

13. So. Benton Community Advisory Group (SBAG) for M. Hull bequest

No news from SBAG.

14. Painting the main hall

In late July, Char will prep and scrape the peeling sections. Then in August we’ll have a priming day and a painting party, inviting the regular core community stalwarts to help.

15. New Business

Char is starting to work on a Masters program in teaching at Pacific University. This is likely to affect her availability to work in the autumn of 2019. The board will probably need to recruit a part-year long term substitute.

16. Proposed agenda for August

Paint party
Prep for the new school year
Grant applications

17. Schedule

Willamette Gran Fondo? 7/29, ACC Board 8/9

Comments are closed.