2016-06-08 Minutes

Alpine CC Board Minutes
6:00 pm Wed., June 8th, 2016 at ACC

Present: Joyce Long, Dorothy Brinckerhoff, Roger Irvin, Rachelle Payne, John Scott, Charlene Opheim
Absent: Dena Elliott

  1. Discuss & approve minutes of the previous meeting

Minutes for the 5/11 meeting approved as corrected. Minutes of the 5/26 meeting approved as corrected.

  1. Review board email votes since last meeting

The board reminded ourselves of our decision at the special meeting 5/25/2016 not to pursue funding opportunities that depend on licensing and certification.

  1. Prioritize Agenda
  1. Financial Report

The Board accepted the financial reports for May.

Dorothy and Marilyn will be meeting in the next week to make a group of needed adjustments and corrections to the books, as well as to set up a grant management tracking spreadsheet.

  1. Preschool Report

The Scamper fundraiser raised about 3800 in income, with expenses of around 780.

Char has talked to a candidate who she believes is appropriate for the bilingual liaison position for the coming year.

Char has no change since last month in her projections for the enrollment numbers for next year. About 3/4s of the students are confirmed.

The board approved, absent specific figures, summer hours for Char to clean the facility, organize her curriculum materials, and paint some interior walls.

The Kindersports program is set to proceed, on Tuesdays & Thursdays, 10:00 AM to noon, 6/28 through the end of July, in coordination with the summer school lunch and Read-on-Wheels programs.

  1. Funding Bi-Literacy Program, Transportation and Scholarships

Joyce is handing off to Dorothy the NAO materials and the grant application composition (in progress).

  1. Student Busing

For the purpose of student recruitment this summer, we need a public position regarding whether we will be able to provide transportation for students who need it. We cannot commit to providing transport at this time. Even so, we will continue to pursue funding for it.

  1. Budget Committee for 2016-17

John and Dorothy presented draft version 1 of a budget for the coming year. After discussing it, the board changed the planned amount of grant funding to $20k.  Roger moved to approve the budget as adjusted, Rachelle seconded, Approved.

  1. Pay and job description of preschool teacher/director

The board realized the Char has served for two years at the starting salary that was only intended to serve for her first year. Roger moved we change Charlene’s pay rate to $20/hr. Rachelle seconded. Approved.

Charlene asked for clarification of the board’s expectations of her as the director of the preschool program.  The board responded that the director expectations include tuition collection and bookkeeping, budgeting, setting tuition rates, handbook revision, and aide/liaison selection and management.  The board affirmed that Char has been meeting our expectations in this role.

  1. Fire marshal inspection action items

Dorothy reported that the photoluminescent Exit signs have not yet been installed.  Dorothy has also been following up on the board’s questions about the estimates for installation of monitored fire alarms. She is expecting to complete the alarm selection review in the next week.

  1. Close-up responsibilities sign

Dorothy reported no progress on this item. Action item from May renewed.

  1. Recycling Center abuse

Finley National Wildlife Refuge has donated network cable to link the repeater to our router. John & Joyce will install a cable from the office to the west wall.

The most prominent abusive incidents in the last month have been people leaving recyclable materials on the ground when the bin was full and even when the bin was entirely absent. Dorothy will have a new sign made about not dumping materials when the container is full or absent.

  1. 2012/2014 Trust Mgmt Grant Implementation

Dorothy reported on her review of the grant materials from the 2012 and 2014 Trust Management grants. The 2014 items are completed.  There are two outstanding items from the 2012 grant: about $600 remains in funds granted toward the recycling kiosk, and $400 in funds for a preschool sign.  The Board discussed design and implementation alternatives for the preschool sign.

  1. Raising volunteers for 6/25 Fondo & 7/9 Cycle Oregon

John reported that there have been several volunteers responding directly to the broadcast email appeal. He canvassed the board members to refresh their volunteer promises for the events.

  1. Abandoned car in parking lot

Dorothy talked on 6/8/16 to Vicky, the neighbor associated with the car. The car belongs to her grandson. She supports our effort to remove it. She will tell him that he must move it by 6/12/16, and that we will have it towed if it remains after then.

  1. Building Task Force

Phase 2 Main Hall lighting improvements:  Roger has found a system where individual bulbs can be controlled via WiFi.  Such technology would ease the wiring requirements for installing the new track lights on the beams. Dorothy will consult with electrician to get budget estimates for wiring with and without additional lines for wall switch control.

  1. So. Benton Community Advisory Group (SBAG) for M. Hull bequest

Roger reported no news from SBAG.

  1. New Business

Jeanne-Anne requests $50 for weed cloth and bark mulch for the West flower bed under the sculpture. Roger moved that we approve up to $50 expense for these gardening supplies, John seconded, approved.

The Board also recognized the need for lawn and weed control this summer.  Roger moved we approve expense of up to $200 for a gardener to mow the lawn this summer. John seconded. Approved.

A local family has offered to donate a piano to the Center. The board thanks them and respectfully declines.

  1. Proposed agenda for July

Grant application(s) for preschool TAP and bi-literacy enhancement

Fire marshal’s action items

  1. Schedule

Willamette Gran Fondo aide station 6/25, Cycle Oregon aide station 7/9, ACC Board 7/13

Comments are closed.