2016-01-13 Minutes

Alpine CC Board Minutes
6:00 pm Wed., January 13th, 2016 at ACC

Present: Joyce Long, Dorothy Brinckerhoff, Dena Elliott, Roger Irvin, Rachelle Payne, John Scott, Aaron Seifer
Absent: Charlene Opheim

  1. Discuss & approve minutes of the previous meeting

Correct name Shephard to Shepard. Otherwise, approved.

  1. Review board email votes since last meeting


  1. Prioritize Agenda
  1. Financial Report

The board reviewed the financial reports for December.
Our 2015 year-end letter donation response was lighter than last year ($3600 vs $4600).
We finally got billed this year for four years’ accounting services by our accountant.  This is why there is a large expense for professional services in November and the December FYTD.

  1. Preschool Report

Licensing the facility as child care site. Tabled.

  1. Student Busing and Coordination with School District

Roger reports that Greg Klein did not bring up the proposed van sharing at the church business meeting, and will be following up on it with Luke Krieger soon.  Joyce will also pursue Luke on this.

  1. Funding Bi-Literacy Program and Scholarships

No grant application has been made yet to the Ford Family Foundation. Joyce needs to meet with Charlene and Shirley to develop a budget of what we want to apply for.

  1. Recycling Center abuse

The recycling center task force met last Sunday and will meet again 1/31/16.  They are looking at user education, at aesthetics, and at enforcement. Aaron Seifer drafted a sign that consolidates the usage and enforcement notices. Dorothy & the task force request approval to print the sign on a weather-resistant hard vinyl. The expected price is in the $200-300 range.  John moved to approve expense up to $300 to print two weather-resistant signs.

Joyce has not yet set up the network extender to ease access to the video recorder.

  1. Procedures for publishing through the electronic media

The board considered the draft procedure.  We discussed an additional category of recurring messages, such as monthly announcements of bingo and community dinners that go out with only minor changes each time.  The first instance of message like this should be subject to the mainstream 5 day review hold, and later instances should out without delay following the time-sensitive procedure.  Action item: John: add this category, and send the next draft for final review to the board plus Evelyn and Charlene.

  1. Building Task Force

Dorothy has not yet succeeded in getting response from any of the electricians (M&W, Benton) to respond to give us an estimate on the Phase 2 Main Hall lighting improvements.

  1. 2012 Trust Mgmt Grant Implementation

The Recycling Center Task Force would like to have some input or consulting role on the design for the Informational kiosk implementation.

  1. So. Benton Community Advisory Group (SBAG) for M. Hull bequest

No news.

  1. Christmas Tree Lot Lessons Learned

Total net income this year was around $3,800 (before splitting with the Monroe HS Wrestling team).  We need to reseal the trailer/hut against the weather. Keith Payne is planning to do this.  Need to spray/bomb for wasps & flies late in the autumn.  Need to replace halogen bulbs next year.  Need better signage about how the lot is open even when not attended.  It would be better to get a higher percentage of Noble Firs.  We need to increase our volunteer pool for setup, staffing, and tear down.  If Wilbur-Ellis won’t let us use that site next year, we might be able to get the use of the Benton-Lane Winery’s vacant lot, one block down. We will need to work on securing liability insurance coverage earlier next year.  Wilbur-Ellis has covered in the past, and if we need to provide our own next year, we need to work with our insurer sooner (and deal with budget impact).

  1. New Business

Resale shop is continuing to operate at a loss because of lack of volunteers to have it open.  Rachelle reminded the board that we need to be conscious of this.  The board is comfortable subsidizing the shop for a few months, as winter is often a slower time.  Rachelle did get called by a potential volunteer who respond to the appeal in the year-end letter, but he didn’t show to a scheduled training and has dropped out of communication.

ACC was allowed to run out of propane this month by Coenergy Propane. After they refilled our tank, one of the burners in the furnace was burning in a dangerous manner. Dorothy called Montgomery Heating, who came out and did a service call.  Dorothy found the center hot a couple days before Christmas, as it would be if users had left the thermostat high the last time the building was used. There have been other times when people found the thermostat left high when the building was empty. Joyce has agreed to search for a programmable thermostat that can be accessed remotely.

We received a letter from the Fire Marshall with a self-inspection safety checklist to complete and return to them.  We know our fire extinguishers have passed beyond their certification period.  Roger will complete the inspection and return the checklist.  Joyce will send him the contact info for the extinguisher vendor who serviced them last.

Webster Ave potholes are getting bad. Roger will call the county to request grading.

  1. Proposed agenda for February

Funding for Tuition Assistance Plan needs for the second half of the year
Preschool busing plan

  1. Schedule

ACC Board 2/10

Comments are closed.