2015-08-12 Minutes

Alpine CC Board Minutes
6:00 pm Wed., August 12th, 2015 at ACC

Present: Joyce Long, Dena Elliott, Charlene Opheim, Dorothy Brinckerhoff, Rachelle Payne, John Scott
Absent: Roger Irvin

  1. Discuss & approve minutes of the previous meeting


  1. Review board email votes since last meeting


  1. Prioritize Agenda
  1. Financial Report

The financial reports for July had some outstanding questions that Dorothy wanted to work through with our bookkeeper. Dorothy will send them to the board by email in a few days.

  1. Preschool Report

Charlene reported that the highest single day attendance at the summer Kindersports program was 17 kids, while the lowest single day was only 5 kids. There were many people who only happened across it, despite our publicity efforts. We need to find additional ways to publicize and recruit next year. Having it associated with the summer lunch program was a strong plus.
The program didn’t consume the entire amount of the Knudsen grant. Dorothy will work with Char on the grant completion report, and request that we retain the surplus funds as seed for next year.
We need a space to store the Kindersports equipment. Charlene will purchase a cabinet.

Char recently took the LBCC training class in Quality Rating and Improvement Systems (QRIS). She was encouraged that there is considerable grant funding available for program enhancements and expansions within this area, but most grants are tied to being licensed as a “child care facility” (even though we are preschool instead of a child care facility). Another person at the training told Char that we should not have any difficulty getting licensed. Dorothy and Char will follow up with PCPO and the licensing agency to understand the standards, their applicability to our situation, and the procedure for licensure.

The board discussed a recent email from Cindy at Old Mill Center in Corvallis to use our facility for the Relief Nursery. This use, also, may depend on being licensed or licensable as a “child care facility.” The Board is positively inclined.

Forecasting enrollment demand for the coming year: Char is currently looking at applications for 21 kids for M-W-F, with only room for 16, with 9 anticipated for Tu-Th. Char proposes shifting the Spanish speaking students to Tu-Th-F, to help balance numbers and concentrate the busing needs to 3 days a week. We may need to relegate some late applicants to a waiting list. The open house is scheduled for August 20th, 6:00-7:30. There are funds available from a previous grant for materials and food/beverages for the open house.

  1. Potential grant sources to support biliteracy program

The board discussed how we will pay for the additional expense of a full bi-literacy program? Joyce and Dorothy have submitted an application to Oregon Community Foundation for a grant of $8000 (on a total project budget of $10k). No word on when we should expect to hear a decision.

Several of us received an email that the director of Ford Family Foundation sent recently announcing an additional focus for the foundation on children and families. This signals potential additional support for our programs, which FFF has already supported heartily.

  1. Coordination with School District

John did not attend the July school board meeting as he volunteered to do. The District Superintendent visited Kindersports in July, videoed the action, and posted it on the district Facebook page with positive comments.

  1. Lessons learned from Willamette Gran Fondo

Joyce & John reported that the event went well, resulting in a $750 donation to ACC. The weakest part was that Joyce & John didn’t commit to their coordinating roles soon enough and energetically enough, leading to some confusion.

  1. Building Task Force

Dorothy reports that she and Roger are meeting a lighting designer on the morning of 8/13 to generate a proposal for the Main Hall lighting improvements. Dorothy still hasn’t heard back from Pacific Power, and will push them for an appointment.

John reported no progress on the toilet replacement.

The board discussed installing motion-detector lights around the recycling center. Dorothy will have Gary evaluate whether his licensing will cover running the electrical supply for the lights in the Alpine Pump building. Board agrees that there is good reason to include a surveillance camera system to identify people who are abusing the center.

  1. 2012 Trust Mgmt Grant Implementation

Dorothy & John reported on the Informational kiosk design & implementation. Dorothy is working with Shirley on a Spanish translation for signage related to the recycling center.

  1. So. Benton Community Advisory Group (SBAG) for M. Hull bequest

No news.

  1. New Business

Rachelle reported on the Resale Shop. There are some holes in the volunteer schedule. The Board discussed recruiting additional volunteers.

Dorothy hired a local teenager to do weed-whacking at the center. He cut weeds in the parking lot, ditch, and yard. It all looks much better.

  1. Proposed agenda for September

Holiday festival planning

Christmas tree lot planning

  1. Schedule

First day of preschool 9/8, ACC board 9/9

Comments are closed.